Friday, December 08, 2006

It's Crantastic!


I love Sandi Richard, and am slowly making more and more of her recipes. I was pretty intrigued by this particular one...and made it for 4 people instead of 2 which was what the original recipe was for. I got mixed reviews!!!!!!!! Melody and James gobbled theirs down wuite happily, as did I. Matt wasnt the biggest fan but prefers my other ways of making them, (I make a breaded, baked chop smothered in apple sauce and a plain grilled with vinegar and oil on it) So im including the ingredients from the original recipe and my own amounts for 4.


FOR 2 PEOPLE!


2 x pork chops, half inch thick (675 g or 24 oz)
1/4 cup flour (60 mL)
1 tsp fresh pepper (5 mL)
1 tbsp butter (15 mL)
Foil
1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen (250 mL)
1 tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)
Reserved flour
2/3 cup apple juice (150 mL)
2/3 cup vegetable broth (preferably low sodium) (150 mL)
1 tbsp maple syrup (15 mL)


FOR 4 PEOPLE!


7-8 small pork chops (depending on serving amounts you are looking for)
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 heaping tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tbs Butter or Margarine
1 1/2- 2 Cups Fresh Cranberries
3 tbsp maple Syrup
reserved flour
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tbs maple syrup


In a bag or shaker container, dredge pork chops in flour and pepper. Set aside balance of flour for later.



Heat butter in fry pan. Brown chops for 3 minutes per side or until nicely brown. Remove from pan and tightly cover with foil on a plate.



Add cranberries and sauté until slightly softened. Add syrup and stir to coat (in my picture..though its a bad one...you can see that my cranberries popped and got really soft too fast. Especially when the syrup got really hot! I suggest turning the pan down to medium low while doing this part). Sprinkle reserved flour all over pan. Gradually stir in apple juice, broth, syrup and meat drippings from plate.




Increase heat slightly at medium high until mixture starts to boil and thickens slightly.


Return chops to pan, baste with sauce and let simmer for 8 additional minutes flipping once.




VOILA! I served mine with honey brown sugar carrots and my garlic butter brussel sprouts. When i look back on this meal i think to myself...HOLY SUGAR MEAL!

I will probably make it again but for 2 people. Coming later this week, Giada'as Involtini of Beef!

1 comment:

initially gpl said...

hehe thats right we scarfed ours down it was dammmmn good!

that seemed like ages ago that we had that tho... so guess what? i request it!
yay!
love!
gpl