Sunday, December 10, 2006

Beefy Beefy Tomato yum yum!


THE RECIPE I THOUGH I'D NEVER KNOW!


I'm a big fan of beef. I'm also a big fan of Giada Dilaurentis's recipes. I like watching her cook, especially cause she makes a lot of recipes that I can relate to, that remind me of home. Mind you I don’t make half of them due to the abundance of seafood this woman eats. I, don’t.

I saw her make this recipe well over a year and half ago and i didnt write it down. I couldn't find the recipe online later, and was sad about it. It looked fricken delicious. a few months ago i saw the episode again and clung to every word of instruction. I also got the name of the dish this time and THANK FOODIES I found it online! It didn't take long for me to make this one!

It didnt take me tooo long to make it (about an hour start to finish) and my food guinea pigs Matt and Dave gave it raving reviews! I was so excited about this dish that i forgot to take a presentation picture! And so, i give you matts empty plate!!!

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled carrots (about 3)
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 (3 to 4-ounces each) beef scaloppini (from London Broil or Top Sirloin)
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup frozen peas
1-ounce thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped (roughly 4 slices)

**I had a small snaffoo or 2 but it was still good. When i went to the grocery store i was in a mad rush to do ALOT of grocery shopping in less than a half hour! When i bought my beef scallopini i ended up with 1 package of 2 large and 1 package of 4 small, when i wanted 2 packages of 2 large!....wow was that ever informationless information!**

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, onion, and garlic and saute until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the Parmesan.


Season beef with salt and pepper. Using 2 tablespoons for each, divide the carrot mixture among the beef slices. Roll up the beef slices to enclose the filling, tucking in the ends. If you screwed it up and bought the wrong size like me, this will be the most annoying part. Secure the rolls with toothpicks. (don’t do what I did and use coloured ones! Make sure you have NON coloured ones before you start)



Heat the remaining oil and the remaining tablespoon of butter in the same large frying pan over medium-high heat. Dredge the beef rolls in flour to coat lightly.


Add the beef rolls and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.


Add the tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaf. Now, when it comes to cooking with tinned diced tomatoes, I always use AURORA tomatoes. They are sooo red and sooo fresh and juicy and just… the superior Italian canned company! of course i took this picture of the wrong side of the can...so those of you who speak french will have no problems here! (all it says it product of italy and something about being a good brand hee hee)


Cover and simmer until the beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the beef rolls to a platter. Remove the toothpicks, then cover the beef rolls with foil to keep warm.

Add the peas and prosciutto to the sauce in the skillet and stir until the peas are heated through and the sauce reduces slightly, about 5 minutes.

Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Drizzle the sauce over the beef rolls and serve with your choice of veg! I made a steamed garlic broccoli with melted mozzarella!

No comments: