Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Ethnic cooking- masalaaaa

I know its been a while- and im sorry! Its been crazy busy and with birthdays and mother's day, plus an extra long week of strep throat its been hard to stay on all tracks.

The good news is in my absence from my blog I have lost 5.9lbs! I have lost 26 out of 55 baby lbs. Go me!

There was a small period of time where there was so much going on that I didn't real care to think about weight watchers. All I really wanted was to eat what I want, when I want. And you know what? I don't really want that freedom anymore. It obviously has not gotten me anywhere good and So I have been back on track. Do I stll love those damn cookies? You bet I do. Do I eat an entire box in just a couple days? No. And that is one of the hardest things on this new lifestyle journey. But I do want to lose weight, and I always have wanted to and I am learning that one day at a time really is the best approach. So I eat my cookies, and I have a steak or an iced cap. But I think about it first. And I plan for it. And I feel ok about it when I'm done eating or drinking it because I know I'm not undoing everything I worked for. AS LONG AS I REMEMBER NOT TO PANIC AND EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!

Part of the spectrum is trying new things- and lately I have really enjoyed more ethnic foods such as Indian. I made this meal the other day and my hubby and I both went nuts for it. Sadly I don't have the completely correct measurements as I made it at supperworks, but it is definitely worth the share. I am mainly guessing!



MASALA FISH





3 servings

3 Basa fish Filets
Canola Oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 tsp Cumin Seed
1 cup crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/ tsp fresh green chilis
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup water
salt

Put the fish in a ziploc and toss half the lemon juice on it and let it sit for a wee while- rinse the fish off under cold water and dry it.

In a large, deep fry pan (that has a cover, for later) cook the onion, oil and cumin seeds on medium high until the onions are browning and cumin is fragrant. About 5 minutes.


Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Carefully add fish, making sure each piece is covered in sauce. Cover and simmer approx. 15 min. Stir occasionally; add a little water if necessary (internal temp. 158F/70C).



Serve over Basmati rice and with a dollop of plain yogurt and cucumber slices.

This was so mild and delicious- a serious new favourite meal.

No comments: