Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fondant button brownies and fishy mcfish...though not at the same time

Well it has been 6 days and I was finally able to get pictures up. Fat friday is once again way late, but hey!

Before I get into the healthy, allow me to start with the not. For my aunt’s birthday I made her Chocolate Brownie cupcakes with handmade fondant decals. They were delicious, and dense in that rich creamy dreamy way. They were roughly 10 points each, well spent. Here are a few shots of them and the decals. My Aunt loves to sew so I made her some buttons.


They were so beautiful and I splurged on the fancy cups since it was her bday and I <3 Her. Sadly they tumbled 3x on the way to her house and were so squished and sad I was pretty sad. I won't be using the cupcake caddy again. The sides aren't high enough to support and kind of sideways tilt.

Onto the healthy!

My weigh in was A+. I lost 2.0 lbs. I was just shy of my 10 lb mark and I’m excited to MAYBE get the badge for it at the next weigh in. I’ve used all my bonus points and then some this week due to some poor choices and bad calculating. I will be happy with maintaining the same late but we will see.

Month 1: 6.2 lbs
Week 1: 1.4 lbs
Week 2: 2.0

Total: 9.6 lbs

Total baby weight lost- 17.6 lbs

This week I am talking about choosing fish for dinner. Growing up, I highly disliked fish. With the exception of tuna covered in mayonnaise and fish n chips smothered in vinegar and tartar I never used to touch it. Salmon was especially disgusting to me as I was insistent it tasted like metal. But just like alcohol, as I got older I learned to like it more. I still don’t like crustaceans with the exception of well cleaned non jumbo shrimp.

In my Weight Watcher meeting recently we were talking about Salmon and how it is higher in points then most fish and lean meat. But no one can argue the health benefits of eating salmon. There is a meeting leader who swears she loses the most weight on the weeks she eats Salmon at least once. So I tried it and looky looky, I lost 2 lbs.

I made a basil and garlic crusted salmon and it was yummy. I made a supperworks dish called Cornmeal Crusted basa, which had a pineapple salsa (sans Cilantro, yuck)

For the Basa, I can break it down for you without having to do the whole recipe layout. Take a white fish filet, dip it into cornmeal and sesame mixed in a bowl. If I had to give you a ratio of how much cornmeal to sesame, I would tell you 80% cornmeal, 20% sesame. Broil the fish until well done, 8 minutes-ish. For the pineapple salsa, just mix together green onion, red peppers and crushed pineapple. Fruity fruity yum yum.

Basil Garlic Crusted Salmon

2 Salmon filets

A bunch of fresh Basil (1/2 cup)

2 cloves garlic

1 tbsp olive oil

Salt

Pepper

1/8 cup Parmesan, grated

Blend all ingredients (But not the filet!) together in a mini chopper or pestle n mortar. Spread over the salmon filets and bake at 375 until done. Roughly 20 minutes. Check for doneness before you take it out.

I served mine with a salad made up of lettuce, cucumber, orange segments and a orange juice vinaigrette. I also served it with rice and steamed carrots tossed with cinnamon.

2 seriously fast, seriously easy and seriously delicious meals to make you feel fed. The smart way.

No comments: