Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fat Friday: Eggplant Caponata

Whoops, it appears i negelcted my blog. cest la vie I guess. Onward....

hooray for me! I got through the last few weeks,and I enjoy seeing that I am 1.8 lbs lighter this week. I am less than 2lbs away from my first goal of 5% weight loss. The best part about this weight loss is that it proves that it is possible to enjoy your week, not feel deprived and still lose. afew Fridays ago I had movie theatre popcorn (Probably the best in my entire life) and an entire 10" wood fire oven pizza. Not to mention butter soaked edamame beans and red wine. It was a wonderful night out with the hubby and friends, and I'm glad the scale didn't bring any guilt. The following week however was different as I went out and seriously miscounted a few things.

I ended up going 18 points over my bonus. Leaving me the deepest in the red I have been to date. I gained .2lbs which was really not enough to panick over, just be cautious of. I was however being really behaved all this week and trying to stay on my feet and moving. I only lost 0.3 lbs but I am working toward at least a 1lb lost come friday. I haven't been eating great, and I havent been eating badly. Nothing fried, but there has been probably too much butter, and too much chocolate, with not enough fruit. I'm not really sure why, I just am finding it hard this week to control some cravings. I havent run out of points, I still have half my bonus. But im making shit decisions. And im not really feeling lettuce. But every day is a learning curve.

Here is a new recipe for Eggplant Caponata. It's tasty, it`s sweet, it`s tart, its not very high in points and cooks in under ten minutes to boot. You're gonna love it.

EGGPLANT CAPONATA



1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup frozen grilled eggplant
1 cup diced tomatoes with juices
1/3 cup roasted red peppers
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp capers, drained
1 1/2 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups cooked rotini
shredded mozzarella

Cook pasta according to your basic pasta rule- salted water, until al dente- usually about 8 minutes. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large frypan. Sauté onions over medium heat, approx. 5 min. Add all remaining ingredients except the mozzarella. Cook until well heated through. Serve over pasta, topp with however much mozzarella you fancy. Finish it with a drizzle of fresh extra virgin olive oil and enjoy the delicousness.


No comments: