Sunday, September 26, 2010

Farmers Market Institution


Well, incase you may have seen from my very recent blog post- My husband and I have joined weight watchers. Why? Aside from the fact that we are definitely way overweight, I have extra baby weight on me thats become hard to adjust to. We both need to be healthy for our son and children to come. We both need to be able to play with them and keep up with them- expecially the keeping up with them...waddling after an angry two year old running around a mall is something I dont want to do! Not to mention, we want to be there to see them off to college, at their weddings, meet our grandbabies. You know,we want to live.


Ive done weight watchers before, when I was in highschool- ten years ago! It was a great diet but off to college I went AND poof I put it all back on PLUS oh.... another 40 lbs. Now, I have yo yo'd alot...more than anyone should. 30 lbs down, 40 back, over and over. so unhealthy! Weight watchers is the best fit for us and so, we continue forward. We like it because it teaches change of habits, as opposed to dieting. As Jennifer Hudson in her new awesome bod says, "I'm winning with weight watchers'.


I will have to eat a number of the SMARTONES weight watcher frozen meals. If i want to start getting to eat during the day (used to eat alot of cookies) as infants=starvation. But they are actually pretty decent so...


I also went to the farmers market saturday and bought all kinds of beautiful farm fresh things. For 19.50 I bought...


6 ears of sweet corn

16 Gala Apples

2 lbs of Brussel Sprouts

2 large spaghetti squash

1 acorn squash

1 large onion


I also bought pickled beets from a woman who just had breast cancer surgery and lost 4 weeks of market days. They were expensive, 9 dollars a small jar but she's had a rough summer and I wanted to support her best i could. She had sandwiches and soups and jams and jellies of all types.


My goal for the week is to take all the beautiful farmers market foods and create beautiful low point, healthy dinners with them. I also have lots of veggies left over from my Grandmothers birthday party- So I will use them up to. Waste not want not- My wallet really wants me to learn that lesson.


I plan to blog all my new recipe attempts as blogging, writing, and keeping track of everything is the best thing to help me from my usual afternoon *MUST EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT* freakouts.


My ideas for this are-


Tomato Soup with Corn Fritters


Spaghetti Squash Marinara with Chicken


Parmesan Brussel Sprouts


Steak with Roasted Corn and Black beans


Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Tilapia


Roasted Zucchini
Baked brown Sugar Apples


Matt will really appreciate this as he works night, and its been sandwiches and granola bars for 2 weeks and hes gonna lose it soon lol. What can I say, Babies take up alot of time and if he is in a bad mood, my kitchen has to fall to the wayside.


Wish us luck!





No comments: