It's funny what you make when you just don't feel like ordering in!
The other night matt had a massive hankering for pizza. Specifically delivery style pizza. I myself, was in anything but a greasy pizza from pizza pizza mood.
What i did want to do however, was cook. But matt wouldnt give up on the pizza, and he DOES prefer my pizza. But he wanted this super manly meat lovers pizza. EWW EWW EWW.
After much deliberation and convincing, he convinced me to make pizza and i convinced him to let me try a new recipe. what recipe? A super veggie packed recipe...
Now this is my take on the veggie pizza at Molisana Bakery, a family owned, reallly YUMMY italian bakery/eatery. im posotive i left out a few ingredients and that i cooked it differently, and obviously their veggie pizza doesn't have sausage.....
SO HERE WE GO!
ANGIES WINTER VEGGIE SAUSAGE PIZZA
1 whole wheat pizza dough
1 cup pizza sauce (i simmer crushed tomatoes with salt, oil, basil and garlic for 30 minutes)
1 pint button mushrooms, quartered
2 green zucchini, diced into larger chunks
1 red pepper, diced (i used green but have learnt from that mistake!)
1 white onion, diced
2/3 ball of fresh mozzarella
2 sausage under oil, cut into pieces (ours are home made but you can buy them in the specialty cheese area by the deli, dry or jarred)
1 tsp dry rosemary or 1 fresh sprig, stripped
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat the oven to 425, use your pizza stone if you have one
2. lightly spray a round pizza pan with non stick (pam...blah blah),
3. roll out, press out, however you like to 'out' your dough.
4. heat oil in a deep fry pan and add vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Cook until just soft, but still crisp.
5. spread the pizza sauce on the dough, covering as close to the edges as possible.
6. lay out the mozzarella slices about an inch apart, without overlapping. DO NOT FULLY COVER THE PIZZA. half a ball is fine, trust me. we used a whole one and we had some VERY THICK cheese.
7. Spread the veggies over the cheese
8. Distribute the sausage all around the pizza
9. Keep the pizza on the pizza pan and place on the pizza stone.
10. Bake on the pan until cheese is melted, sausage is browned and the bottom is JUST starting to brown.
11. Baste edges lightly with oil, spinning it in the oven (careful!)
12. Pull the pizza off the pizza pan and onto the stone. Bake another 5 minutes, or until bottom is browned to your liking!
13. pull out of oven and let sit for five minutes.
14. cut it up, eat it, be happy!