Thursday, October 05, 2006

oh summer don't leave me!

Goodbye Summer!

It’s officially fall here. The trees are turned orange, red, and yellow, they’re purrrty though. The air has that crisp feeling and my house has that familiar warm fall haze feeling to it.

So this is my ode to the end of summer, my last summer vacation at the cottage. I spent a healthy percentage of my time in the kitchen trying out some new concoctions (one of which was Rachael rays chicken thai wraps…DELICIOUS!)

Since we were up for this summer baby’s birthday, I got a new present. My QUEEN IN MY KITCHEN chef hat. I wore it the entire weekend, and sometimes I wear it at home. Those who know me, know I love being in the kitchen, but I hate when someone gets in my way! I love a little help, but I get really nervous when people help me out. Don’t ask me why. Thusly, I am the QUEEN of my kitchen! Naturally, Matt has been more and more interested in helping me out in the kitchen and learning new kitchen tricks over the years. He’s the only person who gets to help me, NERVE FREE! (mom doesn’t count).



ONWARD!

We made burgers…yes…boxed burgers. Half of us are in college, the other half are musicians, then theres me. The budget wasn't gigantic enough for more than a package or two of the fresh meat.BUT! They can be delicious when they are President’s Choice Sirloin Burgers, and you juice ‘em up with beer! One reason i love the summer and cooking so much, is that i love sitting out on a deck with friends by candlelight. Especially right on the lake where you can see the shimmer of the moon in the ripples and hear that melodicly soothing crash of the waves. So this year i decided to be outside even more, i would try my hand at ...the BARBECUE. DUN DUN DUN. I’ve never been a big open flame cooker, i make it too hot and i singe everything on the outside and leave it raw on the inside. But i have learnt that high settings are not always my friend and that patience truly is a virtue. EXPECIALLY IN COOKING! This year I really rocked the house with my bbqing. I didn’t only surprise myself, I shocked matt too!

It’s a Watermelon, It’s a Peach, NO! It’s a birthday cake!

I made my own birthday cakes using a betty crocker cake mix…ok I admit it. I’ve never been the best at scratch baking. But I saw this idea for making your cake look like fruit, and I love making things that look ridiculously cute! I made the watermelon cake pretty much by myself with some assistance on the final touches of green. I left the second cake for what I didn’t know. But when I came back into the kitchen that day, my lovely lady friends Holly and Kristin had created their own colorful icing and made me a PEACH! I loveeee peach. Hahaha. So that was fun times all around.

That’s all for today, as boring as this post has been. I’ll find something interesting to say someday in my life. Hahaha. I’m sleeeepy!


No comments: