Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My First Ever Recipe Post!


Quiet Sunday : Proschuitto, Asiago and Arugula Panini


So here’s my first ever recipe post, I’m sure it might be long winded. I’m not a chef, I don’t really know lots of lingo, though I watch enough food network to get me by hahaha. So I hope I don’t put too much over-explanation in on you.

OK SO!

My family is Italian, and though we aren’t the uber into it kind, and only my dad and his side of the family speak it really, we still eat LOTS of Italian food, and follow any tradition that involves food! Mmmm……. Anyways. Sometimes on Sundays we eat our big pasta meal around the lunch hour and leave smaller meals for night time. Soup and Sandwich is always a popular choice. This week my mom made my dad this sandwich, and served it up with some of her delicious left over minestrone. I don’t have the recipe for that but keep your eyes open in the future.

Proschiutto, Asiago and Arugula Panini:

4-5 thin slices Calabrese bread
3-4 slices proschiutto (ours is home made but store stuff is just as yummy)
Asiago cheese, sliced thin (approx 5 pieces)
Arugula -3-4 pieces.
Mustard, butter or neither, (my dad likes a dry sandwich so his has nothing)

Lay out the 2 slices of bread, and add desired condiments in thin layer on each slice. My mom jumped the gun on my camera and so there is a special piece of meat on the bread already. I hope he feels special.


Next up, layer out the prosciutto on one slice of the bread, overlapping so that all meat stays within the bread parameters.


Add the sliced Asiago next, followed by the arugula. Now I myself have an affliction with warm lettuce of any kind so I leave it out. Hot lettuce is not essential to my sandwich!



Pop ‘er in your panini maker and let sit until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.

If you don’t have a panini maker, you can use a regular ungreased frying pan and put a slightly heavy second frying pan on top of the sandwich. You just have to turn it over at the 3 minute point and it takes a couple minutes longer.

VOILA!


Slice and enjoy with a warm bowl of soup or a salad!

No comments: